To get an instant online price, upload vector artwork ONLY
Lasers need artwork made up of vector paths rather than pixel based images.
Vector designs can be made using:
- CAD software like AutoCAD & Fusion360.
- Graphic software like Illustrator & Inkscape.
- You could also check out online options like Gravit & Vecteezy.
- Convert simple images to vector SVG's online with sites like Convertio.
What’s the difference between vectors and pixels? Vector artwork is made up of paths defined by mathematical coordinates. They are infinitely scalable and the laser traces along the path while cutting your design. Pixel based images (eg JPG’s) are made up of a bunch of dots, are not scalable, and the laser cannot use them as toolpaths.
Want other options for sourcing files? Check out this article.
Save these files from Illustrator, Inkscape, Fusion360, and AutoCAD
Illustrator - save as EPS or AI
- If you use text, fonts must be converted to outlines: ‘Type > Create Outlines’ from top menu.
- Save files as EPS or AI
- Use the ‘File > Save as’ command and select the format as 'Illustrator EPS' or ‘Illustrator AI’.
Inkscape - save as SVG
- If you use text, fonts must be converted to outlines: ‘Path > Object to Path’ from top menu.
- Save files as SVG.
- Use the ‘File > Save as’ command and select the format as 'Inkscape SVG'.
Fusion 360 - save as DXF
- .DXF's can only be exported/saved from a Sketch within a Fusion 360 design. If one does not exist, a sketch will have to be created before the Save as DXF option appears.
- If you use text, fonts must be converted to outlines: Right click on the text > ‘Explode Text’ from the drop down menu to create lines for exporting.
- Export Sketch as a .DXF by right clicking on the desired sketch in the browser and selecting Save as DXF.
- Please note the entire content of a sketch will be exported and regardless of what direction the sketch is constructed in Fusion 360, the DXF output will always be in XY space.
AutoCAD - save as DXF
- Mac version: Text can not be converted to a path for the laser to read.
- Windows version: If you use text, fonts must be converted to paths: i) Select the text you would like to explode. ii) Select ‘Express tools > Text explodes’. (Install Express Tools from your original AutoCAD installation file (this plugin usually installs by default) or download it from the Autodesk website).
- Save files as DXF.
- Use the ‘File > Save as’ command and select the format as AutoCAD ‘2007 DXF file’.