Yes, we can laser cut & engrave your custom sheet materials!
If you have a tight budget or timeline, we recommend you use one of the materials we already stock. These have been tested for laser cutting and you will get the lowest price and fastest delivery using them.
If you need a material that's not in our catalog, here is our process to manage this (we'll be automating it online soon) ...
- What custom materials can we work with - Flat sheet materials 0.1-9mm/0.004"-0.375" in thickness with a uniform core.
- Materials we can not work with - PVC, most rubbers including Neoprene & Viton fluoroelastomer, Polycarbonate, Glass, Stone, Carbon Fiber & anything that produces corrosive gases as a result of combustion. Heat resistant materials are unlikely to cut well. Most materials over 9mm thick won't cut through (the exception may be soft materials such as foam). To effectively deliver our high quality, high speed, low-cost service, we do not work with non-flat sheet materials.
- What custom materials info we need from you - A URL link to the specific supplier and material you need. We'll order your custom materials direct from the supplier (not least so we can add your material to our catalog for your future orders). To effectively deliver our high quality, high speed, low-cost service, we do not accept custom materials direct from our customers.
- Custom materials order speed - Add about 1-3 weeks to the date you see at checkout ... A different color acrylic in our existing supplier's stock will be +1 week and an unknown material from an unknown supplier will be +3 weeks.
- Custom materials order pricing - In addition to the custom pricing for the custom material & laser cutting time, add $150 - $500 custom service fee to the quote you see at checkout ... EG - Your price for a different color acrylic from our existing supplier will be the cost to supply & cut the custom material plus $150 custom service fee; and your price for an unknown material from an unknown supplier will be the cost to supply & cut the custom material plus $500 custom service fee.
How to place an order using custom materials:
- Place your order on our website using 0.35in (9mm) clear acrylic as a proxy material. At checkout, select the free shipping option.
- Reply to your Ponoko order confirmation email. State
'Custom material order. I would like XXXX custom material in XXXX thickness and XXXX color. You can find this material at this website URL: XXXX.'A URL link to the specific supplier and material (and ideally the Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS) will reduce cost & increase the speed of fulfillment significantly.
- If your material is safe to cut and able to be sourced, Ponoko will send you a payment request for the custom material setup. If your material is not safe to cut, or we cannot source it, you can proceed with one of our materials or cancel your order for a 100% credit/refund.